Knox Box Program
Offering Peace of Mind for the Community and Firefighters
The goal of Abingdon Fire Company is to provide the best and most up-to-date service to the people in our fire protection area. In contrast, maintaining keys to alarmed buildings/residences has become unmanageable and is causing delays and when responding to emergencies.
In order to access buildings quickly, minimize forced entry damage, and protect firefighters from injury, Abingdon Fire Company has adopted the Knox-Box Rapid Entry System. Currently, more than seven thousand fire departments and the communities they protect enjoy the benefits of this proven system.
Knox-Boxes are constructed of ¼" solid steel with a ½" steel door and reinforced locking mechanism. They are UL listed against physical attack and Medeco security lock is patented and UL listed for drill, pick and pull resistance.
The master key to open the Knox-Box is held ONLY by Abingdon Fire Company and only when the Harford County EOC grants access to the key via radio. This high security key is strictly controlled and is produced ONLY by the Medeco factory under direction from an authorized fire official's signature. Each time the key is accessed by a fire department member, their name, reason for access, and related info is recorded and maintained by the Harford County Emergency Operations Center.
Knox-Boxes are specified by Abingdon Fire Company but are purchased directly from the Knox Company. Once installed near the entrance to your property, the fire company locks your building entrance key inside the Knox-Box so that it is available onsite for future emergencies.
Please visit the Knox Website directly to make a purchase - please indicate Abingdon Fire Company as your fire department when making your purchase.
Ten reasons to install a Knox Box system on your home or business.
1. Eliminate needless, costly forced entry damage that may not be covered by your Insurance deductible.
2. Assure immediate building entry by firefighters without delay or waiting for building keys.
3. Protect inventory, equipment and supplies from unnecessary water damage caused by delayed sprinkler shut-off.
4. Satisfy any local fire codes and emergency access ordinances that may be in place.
5. Save time and aggravation by not having to drive to your establishment at 2:00 am for a false alarm.
6. Feel secure about emergency coverage when your building/residence is left unattended. Abingdon Fire Company holds the only key to the Knox-Box.
7. Maintain building security after a fire alarm investigation by simply re-locking the undamaged door.
8. Protect your property from thousands of dollars in damage with this one-time, low cost investment.
9. Depend on the highest lock box security available with attack resistant, UL tested reliability.
10. Over the last 27 years, Knox-Box has been the chosen solution in 7,000 communities nationwide - communities just like ours!